Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Semi-Formal Introduction

Hello world. My name is Erick and this is the first entry for my new blog, ‘Eating Habits’. To open this blog I would like to dedicate one post to conduct a formal introduction, as I feel that you can only truly know someone once you penetrate the inner workings of their brain. So, let us begin.

Although I currently live in Berkeley, California, my roots take me back to about four hundred miles south of here, to Los Angeles (or the greater metropolitan area). I relocated to the Bay Area about a year and a half ago in order to continue my undergraduate studies at the University of California, Berkeley. I am currently a fourth-year Society and Environment major that is set to graduate next fall, and to be perfectly honest, I have no clue what I'm going to do with my life upon graduating. Enough about that.

Anyways, moving upstate last fall provided me the first opportunity to move out of my parent's house, and with such a transition has come much growth. Over the past year and a half I have undertaken various hobbies that I had only ambivalently considered while living in Los Angeles. For instance, items that have been added to my Facebook “Activities” section since moving to Berkeley include: gardening, riding my bike, reading, washing dishes, yoga, opening cans, BART, and doing laundry. Although some of these activities have been added out of shere necessity (mostly because my mom can’t do my laundry or cook for me from four hundred miles away), others, such as yoga, gardening, and reading have been undertaken out of my own freewill. Overall, it seems as is if this Berkeley ‘hippie culture’ is rubbing off on me more than either of my parents would have preferred.

People that know me would probably describe me as goofy, outgoing, reclusive, moderately handsome, nervous, slightly accommodating, and mostly hilarious, though most of that is just heresy.

As mentioned above, gardening has recently become of utmost importance to me. I am currently enrolled in a class that specializes in indoctrination to the principles and ideals of what some call a growing movement, “Urban Agriculture”. So, for the past three month’s I’ve spent countless hours in Berkeley’s Student Organic Gardening, planting seeds, pulling weeds, harvesting greens, and sweating profusely. I’m also set to spend next semester aboard in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I hope to continue practicing Urban Agriculture, while also learning Spanish, eating lots of red meat, and hopefully slacking-off from time to time. As a side note, I’ll probably be blogging while in Argentina, so stay tuned for that.

Well, although you haven’t successfully penetrated my brain, you now know much more about me and my current position in this world. I’m sure that as this blog unfolds you’ll continually learn more about this person that they call Erick Uribe. Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to add your name to the list of “followers” over there on the right hand side. Adios.

Oh, and here's a link to the Student Organic Garden's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001276098724


2 comments:

  1. This is probably one of the best ideas anyone has ever had. I'm looking forward to future posts, I believe you've got a plethora of awe-inducing things to say!! :O <---that's my awe-induced face.

    ReplyDelete