Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eating Out In Berkeley

There are basically two types of food that I go for while eating out in Berkeley. Perhaps the most commonly preferred dining options while eating out are the countless Indian restaurants that can be found in this city. I hadn’t had much experience with Indian food prior to moving out, however upon tasting the various spices and flavors that such establishments offer, I have rapidly developed a constant craving for Indian dishes. Whether it’s an Indian buffet for lunch, or a more traditional restaurant for dinner, curry, massala, naan, and biryani always leave me feeling extremely satisfied. In general, I prefer very strong and bold flavors, and most of the spicy Indian dishes provide just that.

Another Berkeley favorite is the Cheese Board Pizza Collective, which serves one type of pizza all day long. Because Cheese Board is located in North Berkeley I usually only have time to go there on weekends, however when I am able to make the trip it is always well worth the journey. Perhaps the collective’s self-description will explain why I love this place:

We are currently a collective of twelve people. Everyone who works at the Cheeseboard Pizza is a member of the collective with equal decision-making power. These is no boss, manager, or employees- it is worker-owned.

In general, I prefer to support businesses that are run in an ethical manner, and in choosing to operate as a collective Cheeseboard fulfills this requirement. Communally owned businesses ensure that everybody is treated equally, which promotes cooperation, fair business practices, and an overall better quality product.

In addition to having a great business model, Cheeseboard also cooks up the best pizza in Berkeley. As I said, each day the collective selects one pizza to be the ‘pizza of the day,’ which is then reproduced one after another throughout the day. Despite not having much choice upon arriving, I can always feel confident ordering whatever they happen to be serving on that given day because it is always a great pizza with high quality ingredients. Thin crust, vegetarian, and always containing an amazing cheese, the pizza of the day never fails to make my day. To give you an idea of what kind of pizza I’m talking about, check out this description of today’s pizza: Cremini mushrooms and caramelized onions, baby spinach, fresh Asiago and mozzarella cheeses, pinenuts, garlic olive oil and Italian parsley.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Indian food and Cheeseboard, that’s what I eat on the few occasions in which I’m either too lazy to cook for myself or too carefree not to treat myself to some delicious food.

Here's a link to the Cheeseboard Collective:
http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/Pizza%20Collective/PizzaPage.html

No comments:

Post a Comment