Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Food Evolution

As mentioned above my eating habits have changed greatly over my life. One change that I alluded to in my last post has to do with my move away from fast-food as a common source of nourishment. For instance, in Los Angeles having a car and an endless selection of fast-food restaurants to choose from meant that I would often end up eating a greasy burger and fries in between classes, or even at 3:00am after a long night out. Not only are there less fast-food restaurants in Berkeley, but not having a car has meant that I don’t venture out for cheap and greasy food in the middle of the night. Instead, I am much more likely to fix myself some food at home, or, I might forgo eating past midnight all together, because I know that doing so is a healthier choice.

While I have said that my roommates have greatly influenced my eating habits, I also credit the Northern California culture as a whole for instilling healthier habits into my daily routine. For instance, the vast number of farmer’s markets means that there is always fresh, locally grown produce within reach. Additionally, the organic and slow-food movements, which are widely popular in Berkeley, have worked to change my food choices for the better. Basically, when you see the people around you eating healthy, it’s hard not to make similar choices.

Although I try to limit how often I eat out, I have also noticed a change in the types of foods I select when doing so. For instance, I might order a vegetarian plate at a restaurant because I know it’s healthier for me, and because meatless plates tend to be cheaper, which works out well for me now that I have no income. Also, because there are so many more health conscious restaurants in Berkeley, I am able to eat well even when eating out. For example, some of my favorite places to eat while on campus are Mediterranean and Indian restaurants, both of which tend to be much healthier than the types of places I would eat at while in Los Angeles.

In all honesty, almost every aspect of my eating habits has changed since I left home. The biggest reason for such a dramatic change is that I no longer have a mother by my side to do all the cooking and grocery shopping for me. While my mom always had a stocked refrigerator full of readymade and leftover foods, I am often times left staring at into the fridge without any clue as to what I can eat. Sometimes I can’t find the time to go grocery shopping and as a result I end up eating fruit all day, which is always in full supply in my current household. Other times I find myself only eating fruit because I’m just too lazy to actually cook a hot meal.

Although much has changed, I have definitely retained preferential tastes from back home. For example, eggs and burritos were two foods that my mother would make fairly often, and as you have seen, these are two items that I eat on a regular basis. Similarly, my Italian mama makes pasta dishes almost every week, which is something that I have found myself doing since moving out of her house. This is especially meaningful because it allows me to call my mother for advice when cooking Italian food, advice that she is extremely happy to give. Overall, in having to learn how to cook one meal at a time, and calling my mother for tips in doing so, we have connected on a level that was not possible while I still lived under her roof. Food has become a common interest that has brought us closer together, despite being four hundred miles away from one another. I love you mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment