Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Three Ingredients

Hmmm… three items that I couldn’t live without. First off, let me say that I try not to be too attached to any particular item, so I would never say that I couldn’t live without an item. In any case, let me describe three items that are central to my cooking and eating habits.

First and foremost, eggs are by far my most eaten food item. In fact, I had two eggs for breakfast just a couple of hours ago. When my refrigerator is egg-less I feel a sense of lack that makes doing my homework nearly impossible. Well, that may be a bit of an overstatement, but I really can’t imagine life without eggs. What would we eat for breakfast? How would we continue making the thousands of countless foods/recipes that call for an egg? Not only are eggs an always-reliable source of nutritious delight, they are also incredibly versatile. Over easy, in an omelet, scrambled, pouched, in a burrito, in a sandwich, hard-boiled, soft boiled, etc. I could talk about eggs like Bubba talks about shrimp in Forrest Gump. Additionally, because I’ve grown up eating eggs, preparing them in a style that my mum or dad once cooked for me provides a strong sense of nostalgia. Overall, eggs provide an extremely tasty source of nutrition, while also being easy to cook, versatile, and a way to remember my roots.

The second food item that I can’t live without is an essential staple and the best-proven way to repel vampires. Garlic is by far one of my favorite foods because it can add a kick to almost anything that I cook. In fact, I’ve chopped more garlic over the past semester than I have throughout my whole life previously. I find myself adding garlic to a wide range of dishes, and when I forget or neglect to add it, the meal just feels incomplete. One way to eat the beautiful bulb that I’ve recently discovered is roasted and spread onto a piece of bread. In fact, my infatuation with garlic has pushed me to plant cloves into the Berkeley Student Organic Garden, which unfortunately, will be harvest while I’m studying in Argentina. Regardless, I’ll definitely be cooking with garlic for years and years to come. Also, please do share garlic-based recipes.

The last food that I would take with me to this hypothetical deserted island would be pasta. As mentioned in previous posts, pasta is one of the first items that I learned how to make upon leaving home. In addition to being incredibly easy to prepare, pasta, like eggs, evoke a strong sense of nostalgia when eaten. As I’ve said, my Italian mother used to serve me pasta fairly often. Also like eggs, pasta is pretty versatile, as it can be eaten in various forms and with a host of different accompanied foods. For instance, I love pasta with a pesto base, as I’m a sucker for all things basil. Spaghetti and meatballs is an old time classic that I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for. Pasta and veggies. Pasta alfredo. Linguini and clams. Ohhh, I just can’t get enough pasta, now I’m hungry.

So, there you have it: eggs, garlic, and pasta. While they are all pretty basic food items, they are present in my favorite foods in one form or another, and I just can’t imagine going on cooking without these always-reliable comfort foods.



No comments:

Post a Comment